US Condemns Israeli Airstrikes on Syrian Airbase as Escalation
The US labels Israeli airstrikes on Syria’s Abu Duhur airbase an unnecessary escalation that harms regional stability, according to reports from Syrian state TV and the US envoy.
What happened
Naharnet Lebanon reports that Israeli airstrikes targeted the Abu Duhur airbase in northwest Syria’s Idlib province early Tuesday, damaging the runway according to Syrian state TV. The strikes reportedly caused material damage but no casualties were confirmed. Neither the Israeli military nor Turkish officials have commented on the attack.
Outside Brief is treating this as a source-led account. Any disputed responsibility, casualty figure, battlefield claim or single-source assertion should be treated as unconfirmed/hearsay unless confirmed by another reliable source or a named official. The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the airbase had previously hosted foreign fighters, who were recently asked to leave, and that Turkey has been working to rehabilitate the base after it was out of service during Syria’s conflict.
The strikes come amid heightened tensions following the fall of Bashar Assad's government in December 2024, which led to increased Israeli air activity in Syria aimed at Kurdish and regime-related targets. The new Damascus authorities have expressed a desire to avoid conflict with Israel, while Israel remains wary of the government now led by former Islamist insurgents.
Known from the source
- Israeli airstrikes hit the Abu Duhur airbase in northwest Syria's Idlib province early Tuesday.
- Syrian state TV reported material damage to the airbase runway but no casualties.
- The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights noted foreign fighters recently left the base and Turkey's role in rehabilitating it.
- The US envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack, said Israel carried out the strikes and condemned them as an unnecessary escalation.
What remains unclear
US envoy for Syria Tom Barrack explicitly attributed the strikes to Israel and criticized them as an "unnecessary escalation" that undermines regional stability. He called on all parties involved to favor dialogue over further military actions.
What remains unclear: Confirm whether the central claim is corroborated; until then treat it as unconfirmed/hearsay. Direct confirmation of Israeli responsibility beyond US envoy attribution. Any casualties or damage details beyond Syrian state TV’s report. Official Israeli or Turkish government responses to the strikes.
Evidence note
This story contains report-led claims. The article keeps those claims attributed and treats them as unconfirmed/hearsay unless independently corroborated.
Original source: Naharnet Lebanon. Open the source.
Outside Brief note: this story keeps the main source visible and separates what is reported from what remains unclear.